Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Field Trip: Descanso Gardens in La Cañada Flintridge, California

Finally, we were able to visit the Descanso Gardens, which I had been planning to do for the last six months.  My final opinion is that it is not comparable to the amazing Huntington Library or even Los Angeles Arboretum, but my kids said they enjoyed it and were grateful we went.  

It has paths and streams, lakes and trees, and plenty of places to sit and read a book; but being that it is the middle of the horrid southern California summer, there were few flowers, and everything was brown or dying, which reminded me too much of my own backyard in the desert.  Why drive 1 1/2 hours when I can step outside my backdoor for a few minutes.  Then again, I do not have streams with cute turtles, and even trees that give off shade.

And did I say, it was so awfully hot that I was sweating just standing in the shade of a tree?  But I digress.  


















The best part - the very best part of all - was running into some friends that moved away a few years ago.  It was a total unexpected surprise, and it made the trip well worth it.  So it was a very good trip, indeed.


No comments: