Friday, January 27, 2017

Art Study: Joseph M W Turner

For the last few weeks, we've been studying the beautiful paintings of English Romanticist artist, Joseph M. W. Turner.  I watched the 2014 film, Mr. Turner (without my kids).  Yeah, don't watch that with your kids.  Too many adult themes.  But it would have been wonderful to share it with them so they could see his character and his works.  It makes the artist come alive, if done well, to see a film. version.

Joseph M W Turner painted for the emotion and experience of the landscape or seascape; it was not necessarily the details he captured.  You can feel the radiance of the sun and the warmth of the humidity and the mist from the fog.  

Turner painted a lot of paintings, which he left most to his country.  But gratefully we got to see a few at the Getty Center in Los Angeles.  

Today we attempted to paint (using watercolor) several Turner paintings.  It was not as easy as expected.  

First we started with a light sketch.



And then we painted as best we could.  

Go ahead and laugh.  We did.

The girls painted this one:

Windsor Castle from the Thames


Sophia, age 12


Eva, age 8
My son chose this one: 

Ullswater, Cumberland

Vin, age 9
And I chose this one.  I love, love, love this one:

Rain Steam and Speed The Great Western Railway

Haahaahahahahhahahah!!!!

 After this exercise, I declared that we all need watercolor painting lessons.  Especially me.

2 comments:

Sharon Henning said...

I don't think you all did that bad at all. Since you can't hear my tone when I wrote that I should probably tell you I think your efforts were a nice job. :) It's fun to paint and explore with colors.

Ruth said...

Thank you for your kind words. : )