Monday, December 5, 2016

Book Review: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island
Robert Louis Stevenson

For enrichment last month, we read Robert Louis Stevenson for poetry.  Wow!  I loved his children's poems because they were so innocent and sweet and true.  The author must have retained his youthful imagination his whole life.  We read numerous poems from A Child's Garden of Verses.


Then for literature - and sticking with our nautical/explorer theme - the obvious choice was Treasure Island.  This was my first introduction to the children's classic.  (Now I know where Long John Silver comes from!) This was not as exciting for me as it was for my kids.  I appreciated the rich vocabulary, and the plot reminded me of Charles Dickens' style of twists and knots, which was acceptable to a degree; but I was confused at times.  (My kids had to explain it to me.)  Nonetheless, the content was agreeable to my kids, and they were interested in the plight and condition of the characters and the direction of the plot.  

Most people already know the story of Treasure Island; hence I am more interested in proclaiming that reading it to my children was an absolute success.  They loved it.  This story is perfect for young imaginative minds, drawn to adventure and danger.  It was truly exciting for them.    

Long John Silver leading the hostage Jim Hawkins,
N.C.Wyeth, 1911

2 comments:

Sharon Henning said...

Robert Louis Stevenson is one of my favorite authors. A lot of his poetry has been to music, by Ralph Vaughn Williams (Songs of Travel) as well as many 20th century composers. They're really wonderful to listen to.

Here's link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEyf3a98Dhc

Ruth said...

Oh, that is so cool. I bet that was fun to do (turn his poetry into songs - opera, no less). : D