Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Sail the Seven Seas Rationale and Scripture

In less than two weeks we begin our new school year.  I knew I wanted to do an exploration year, and over the months it has developed into a year to "sail the seven seas."



My rationale or purpose for the school year is this:
I want to teach exploration to my kids because it is the "Western Civilization" bridge between Europe and America.  
We closed Church History year with the Reformation in Europe (1600s) and left the Pilgrims/Separatists, motivated by a desire for religious freedom in America, ready to board a ship in Holland.
As we study exploration, I want to prepare the way for those Pilgrims to come to America because the following school year I hope to begin telling my children the American story. 
Explorers, like Columbus and others, opened the channel for European settlers to begin new lives here, planting the seeds of the American experiment.  This is what connects us to Europe and Western Civilization.  

Then I found this Scripture, which is encouraging:

Psalm 107:23-31

Those who go down to the sea in ships, 
Who do business on great waters,
They see the works of the LORD,
And His wonders in the deep.

For He commands and raises the stormy wind,
Which lifts up the waves of he sea.
They mount up to the heavens, 
They go down again to the depths;
Their soul melts because of trouble.

They reel to and fro,
And stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end.
Then they cry out to the LORD in their trouble,
And He brings them out of their distresses.

He calms the storm,
So that its waves are still.
Then they are glad because they are quiet;
So He guides them to their desire haven.

Oh, that man would give thanks to the LORD for His goodness,
And for His wonderful works to the children of men! 


Join us for our next excursion into learning and discovering the world around us, as we sail the seven seas.  

3 comments:

Sharon Henning said...

What a wonderful Psalm. My husband and I are reading the Psalms together as we read through the Bible in a year.

That is really great that you keep a thread to keep a continuum of learning going. Your children are blessed!

Ruth said...

Thank you, Sharon. : )

I think it's great that you and your husband are reading through the Psalms. I need to make that part of my study, too. Right now I'm reading through Romans by myself. But I need to add a Psalm a day or even a week.

Amanda said...

Exciting!!