Thursday, October 24, 2013

Little House and Tipis on the Prairie

Well, we are leaving the prairie, and I feel a little sad to say goodbye already.  It had only been a year when the Ingalls family had begun preparing their garden; then they received word that the U.S. government would be to be removing settlers from Indian Territory (which is strange to me since the Indians were being pushed West anyway).  But Pa was not one to wait for the government to physically force him off the land; he packed up his family and left immediately.  Now they are heading north.

For this week, we put together a little prairie model in our kiddie pool, which included: an Indian camp, a creek, and a log cabin made of tree branches.  Just add soil, birdseed, and water to get prairie grass.   The log cabin is seriously rough: minus a door, windows, fireplace, and chinking.  Definitely not Pa's kind of work.

The log cabin that Pa never built
The tipis are made from felt pieces painted with designs, sewn together, and wrapped around twigs. The twigs are set in a cardboard circle to hold them steady.

The Indian camp

The Indian camp in the creek bottoms
Looking across the prairie at the Indian camp

Bird's Eye View of the Prairie
My kids are adding things to the prairie, such as a well, log pile, animal skins, and a fire pit.  We shall see how it turns out in a few days.  Until then, happy trails to the Ingalls family.  We will meet up with them next week on Plum Creek in Walnut Grove, Minnesota.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That is incredible! I love it! I don't think I'd ever be able to wash it out. I've been to their sod house in Walnut Grove, or the little indent that was once the house. :) My mom slipped all the way down the muddy banks of the creek. It was really funny!

Ruth said...

Oh, that's great! I love that her "home sites" have been preserved.

We are planning to visit the Ozarks in Missouri next summer - my mom lives right near the Ozarks.) And I hope to also drive over to Independence, Kansas to see the replica of Little House, too. So we'll see.

As for this model, we'll probably leave it for a long, long time. We don't use the pool for swimming anymore.